Popularly known for vibrant coffee culture, the capital of Victoria also boasts a thriving art scene. Melbourne welcomes both local and international artists who have passion for this creative industry. Believe it not! The art scene of Melbourne is a perfect blend of cultural, historical and social aspects. The city embraces aboriginal heritage, diverse cultures and provide a great liberty to let arists showcase their creative work piece in exhibitions. There are so many different art galleries to explore if you love art and creative work. From renowned exhibitions to local collections and interactive experiences, we share you a list of Melbourne’s best art galleries that you should visit to explore exceptional art. Let’s Get Started!
1. NVG InternationalThe National Gallery of Victoria’s international building or NVG International is the pride of Melbourne, Victoria. Situated on the southern fringe of the Yarra Rivver, NVG international welcomes more than one and a half million people every year. This is Australia’s one of the oldest art galleries, and its permanent collect is free to the public. Whether you want to explore Indigenous art collection or class one, this place has everything for you.
2. The LumeThis is a must-visit place for art connoisseurs. The Lume Melbourne is said to be the largest permanent digital art gallery in the world. This 3,00 Square meter four-storey high art gallery will take your experience to the next level. It uses new-age design and technology to transform the most imperative visual art from all around the world into memorable and multi-sensory encounters.
3. Australian Centre for Contemporary ArtBest renowned as ACCA to locals and international tourists, the Australia Centre for Contemporary Art is one of the most beautiful places to explore for all people living in the capital of Victoria. Believe it or not! Exploring exhibitions and art galleries is one of the best things do in Melbourne. Here, you will explore rust-red façade and exceptional architectural design by Wood Marsh. This is a NGO gallery that displays local and international artworks.
4. Linden New ArtLinden New Art is also a Non-Profit, artist-run gallery situated in the hotspot of St Kilda, Melbourne. This art gallery is known for showcasing contemporary art, digital paintings and other creative work of emerging and well renowned Australian artists.
5. Buxton ContemporaryIt is one of the newest Melbourne’s art precinct which is known for displaying modern art collections. Located close to the Southbank, Buxton Contemporary hosts thematic exhibitions, art and craft learning initiatives and art commissions.
6. Mars GalleryMelbourne Art Rooms or Marks is relocated from Port Melbourne to Windsor as it offers better opportunities for exhibitions and art commissions. This place is best known for showcasing talented work of Australian and international artists. You must visit this place after moving to Melbourne with your family. You can also explore Melbourne through food, shopping and heritage visits and make your travelling experience memorable.